Australian Open 2024 results: Novak Djokovic loses to Jannik Sinner, Daniil Medvedev beats Alexander Zverev


 

Novak Djokovic lost at the Australian Open for the first time since 2018 as Italian fourth seed Jannik Sinner reached his first Grand Slam final.

Serbia's Djokovic, 36, lost 6-1 6-2 6-7 (6-8) 6-3 as Sinner regrouped from not taking a match point in the tie-break.

It ends Djokovic's bid for a record-extending 11th title and a 25th major to put him clear of Margaret Court.

Sinner, 22, faces Daniil Medvedev, who recovered from two sets down to beat Alexander Zverev, in Sunday's final.

Russian third seed Medvedev, 27, won 5-7 3-6 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 in a remarkable second semi-final which lasted four hours 18 minutes and finished at 00:06 local time.

Sinner's elimination of Djokovic means there will be a new name on the Australian Open men's singles trophy.

The Serb had won 33 matches in a row in Melbourne since losing to South Korea's Chung Hyeon in the fourth round six years ago.

"It was very, very tough," said Sinner, who is the first Italian to reach a Melbourne singles final.

"I felt like [Djokovic] wasn't feeling that great so I kept pushing. I just tried to be ready for the fourth set, which I started off really, really well."

Two-time runner-up Medvedev is aiming for his first Australian Open title, having lost to Djokovic and Spain's Rafael Nadal in the 2021 and 2022 finals.

His win over Zverev was the second time during this year's tournament he had fought back from two sets down, doing the same in the second round against Finland's Emil Ruusuvuori.

"In the third set I started saying 'If I am going to lose I want to be proud of myself'. I won so I'm proud of myself," said Medvedev, whose sole major triumph came at the 2021 US Open. 

Post a Comment

3 Comments

Dear Reader Thank you for your patronage Please Enter Your Comments Here We Love To Hear From You. Thank You