JONATHAN TROTT EXCLUSIVE: I never wanted the night to end - when it did, I knew I'd have to go and play cricket again

JONATHAN TROTT EXCLUSIVE: I never wanted the night to end - when it did, I knew I'd have to go and play cricket again

  • Jonathan Trott has had two separate absences from cricket because of stress-related illness - once after Ashes and once this season
  • He says it was a 'relief' to be away from the game 
  • Even games against students were hard work 
  • Trott went to see Dr Steve Peters to try to help him
  • Batsman describes it as a 'last throw of the dice' and an 'all-in moment'  
  • Michael Vaughan was very critical of Trott's stress revelations
  • The 33-year-old will play in Royal London Cup final for Warwickshire against Durham at Lord's 

Jonathan Trott would go to bed hoping the night would never end. He had a wife who loved him. A three-year-old daughter who adored him. Together they had made a beautiful home. But in his tortured mind waking up meant only one thing: he would have to play cricket again.
Driving to the ground, every inch of his body hurt, his muscles begging his brain to take them anywhere but Edgbaston. To stop. To rest.
With what little mental clarity he still possessed, he was starting to wonder if his cricket career was over. ‘I wasn't sure I wanted to play cricket any more,' he says.
Jonathan Trott sitting in his kitchen, where he opened up about his struggle over the past year
Jonathan Trott sitting in his kitchen, where he opened up about his struggle over the past year
Trott talks to Sportsmail's Chief Sports Reporter Matt Lawton and reveals his torment
Trott talks to Sportsmail's Chief Sports Reporter Matt Lawton and reveals his torment
 

'I was in that sort of place because of the way it made me feel, 24 hours a day. 
‘It became a relief to be away from it. Not to be at the ground. But there was a ticking clock; knowing that you had to go back.
‘Even in the hotel, or at home, it was like a ticking clock; like a sentence. Knowing that you’re going back to the ground. You want the night to never end. You get to bad places.’
That was in April, during a county match between Warwickshire and Sussex, and just before he aborted his comeback from the stress-related illness that had forced him to leave the Ashes tour in Australia the previous November.
When he issued a statement on April 18 explaining he was suffering the ‘same anxieties’ he had endured in Brisbane, he had no idea what was wrong with him.
A psychologist he saw soon after returning home from Australia thought he was suffering ‘burnout’, and Trott responded to the diagnosis with a sense of relief. It was something he could understand and perhaps blame on back-to-back Ashes series. He did his best to articulate what he had experienced in an interview with Sky, which was labelled ‘Jonathan Trott: Burnout’.
Trott never envisaged the level of criticism that interview would attract. In particular from Michael Vaughan, the former England captain who attacked Trott in a newspaper column by complaining that he felt ‘conned’ because, in his own misguided view, Trott was not ill at all when he left Australia after the first Test. ‘He did a runner,’ declared Vaughan.
Trott is visibly happier than earlier in the summer as he poses in front of pictures of his family
Trott is visibly happier than earlier in the summer as he poses in front of pictures of his family
The Warwickshire batsman was 'in a dark place' in April after his stress-related illness resurfaced
The Warwickshire batsman was 'in a dark place' in April after his stress-related illness resurfaced
A clock ticked in my head... cricket was like a sentence
Trott was stunned by a fellow professional cricketer’s lack of compassion. His wife, Abi, was deeply distressed. ‘The day that article appeared was as bad as the day he came home from Australia,’ she says. Trott clung to the idea of ‘burnout’, hoping a decent rest was all he would need before returning to the crease for country and county. It became his crutch - a cause for optimism.
But he was wrong. After a few months rest, he was horrified to discover nothing had changed. It did not seem to matter if he was playing a county match or a charity game. From the first ball he might as well have been back in Brisbane; anxious and unable to operate.
Then, over dinner one night in Oxford, someone suggested he see the man he now credits with saving his career. The man who has enabled him to start scoring runs again and play a significant part in Warwickshire’s passage to Saturday’s Royal London One-Day Cup final at Lord’s.
An avid sports fan as well as a hugely talented sportsman, Trott had read of Dr Steve Peters’ work with Liverpool Football Club and the England football team as well as Ronnie O’Sullivan, Victoria Pendleton and Sir Bradley Wiggins.
Trott bites his bat in frustration after being out in a warm-up match ahead of the winter's Ashes
Trott bites his bat in frustration after being out in a warm-up match ahead of the winter's Ashes
After that defeat by Sussex, when he had hit rock bottom, he contacted Peters.
‘It was literally that all-in moment,’ says Trott. ‘The last throw of the dice. I was saying, “Help me; thank you for your time; can you help me? I know you are very busy”.’
He was desperate, but it is not a desperate man who sits across the table from me in the kitchen of his home in Birmingham.
It is a measured, composed 33-year-old capable of making some sense of what has happened to him these past 10 month. Who has just scored 128 not out for Warwickshire against Northants and is now at home giving his first interview since that second break from the game in April while devouring a pizza and chips. 
‘Good carbs,’ he says. The night holds no fears for this Jonathan Trott. He will sleep well before returning to the business of scoring some more runs.
England's No 3 skies one and is caught during the first Ashes Test in Brisbane
Trott walks off looking grim-faced after his dismissal at the hands of Mitchell Johnson
England's No 3 skies one and is caught during the first Ashes Test in Brisbane (left) and walks off The Gabba looking grim-faced after his dismissal at the hands of Mitchell Johnson - days later, he had left the tour
Perhaps the most significant leg of Trott’s difficult journey was the two-hour drive to Peters’ home in the Peak District.
‘He said, “I know how traumatic it can be, the state you are in”,’ recalls Trott, talking about his recovery for the first time. ‘Nobody had said that to me before. Because they don’t know. He knows because of the experience he has, and the knowledge. He knows how hard it can feel, and how horrible it can feel. He understood.
‘I remember driving away from his home. I was on top of the Peak District. I’d never been there before and it was really quite beautiful. And I remember thinking, “That’s amazing, I already feel better”. I’d found someone who understood me. Someone I could speak to. I called Abi and I just said “I’ll be fine now”.’
Trott made the four-hour round trip seven or eight times. ‘Steve’s got the answers and I needed that,’ he says. ‘A lot of psychologists you speak to might say “well how about this? Or this?” He tells you “no, this is what it is. This is human nature and this is how the brain works.” He’s got the experience but also the knowledge as a psychiatrist.
Trott carries the drinks during his comeback match, a friendly between Warwickshire and Gloucestershire
Trott carries the drinks during his comeback match, a friendly between Warwickshire and Gloucestershire
‘In our first meeting he said I wasn’t suffering from depression. He described it as a kind of situational anxiety. My situation was cricket, and you don’t have a balanced, rational view of it. It’s either success or failure and nothing in between.
The 33-year-old walks off after scoring just four in that pre-season friendly in April
The 33-year-old walks off after scoring just four in that pre-season friendly in April
‘Success for me became what I’d achieved, which was an average of 90 against Australia. That was what I had to live up to, which of course was ludicrous. There was a huge imbalance there.’
Trott went home and began reading Peters’ book, The Chimp Paradox. He was gripped. ‘I’d say that’s me down to a tee”,’ he says. ‘I’m sitting there and thinking, “have we met somewhere before because he’s written this about me”.'
Behind him Abi is chuckling to herself. ‘He was reading it in the bath one night and he’s shouting “Hey, listen to this!” Steve writes about catastrophising everything, and that was him.’
‘I’ll give you an example,’ says Trott. ‘I’m in the nets and I’m caught behind. I’m thinking, “F**k, what are my team-mates going to think of me?” And then, “What if that happens in the game? What are they going to think of me then? What are the opposition going to think of me? What are the spectators going to think? What are the press going to write?” When in fact the bowler is probably thinking he delivered a good ball and half my team-mates probably didn’t even see it.’
His first game after the Ashes came in a charity match in Cape Town for a friend who lost a leg in his battle with cancer. Trott was playing with his mates, his brother among them, against a local school side.
‘The moment the first ball came in I was back in Brisbane,’ he says. ‘I got about 19, but it felt the same; whether it was against schoolboys or Australia. It all felt the same.
‘I was then fielding at mid-off. I hadn’t fielded, or even practised, for five months. And this guy whacks one into the air and I’m running backwards. There are no clouds. It’s just an object in a blue sky. I turn to dive. I must have landed on an anthill or something because there is sand everywhere. And the ball hits my hands and, as I’m lying there, I watch the ball trickle over the boundary.
‘As I’m lying there I’m thinking these schoolboys must think I’m useless. They must be thinking the England team is rubbish if this guy can get in it.
‘I was still thinking about the fact I’d only got 19 runs. I knew then that I was in trouble.
Trott bats in the return match against Sussex in July - it was after the Championship match against the same opponents in April that his stress-related issues returned
Trott bats in the return match against Sussex in July - it was after the Championship match against the same opponents in April that his stress-related issues returned
I only scored 19 in a charity match against students and I all I could think was that those schoolboys must've thought I was rubbish 
‘I was thinking, “What’s going on? I’m supposed to be fine now. It was only burnout and I’ve just had five months off”. When I sat down with the psychologist the ECB organised for me, he said I just had classic symptoms of burnout. And I thought, great, I can understand that. But this was a schoolboys game. It was supposed to be fun but I couldn’t enjoy it. I knew it couldn’t be burn-out because I’d had that long break.’
Quite when these problems began for Trott has been a subject of some conjecture. In Australia Andy Flower, then the England coach, suggested Trott had endured mental issues dating back to a tour of South Africa in late 2009.
‘South Africa was something else,’ says Trott. ‘The anxiety problems there were different; more personal. It was more of a family matter.
‘This really only started in England, during the Ashes. I felt different in the first Test against Australia. And people started noticing things. Certain mannerisms and stuff.
‘Before we went to Australia (for the second of the back-to-back Ashes) I thought I could deal with it. I thought, “Well I’ve got a month to get my head straight. I’ll be OK”. I’d averaged around 50 in the Test series against Australia.
‘After the Ashes in England I couldn’t enjoy the fact we had won the series. I was embarrassed by the contribution I had made, even though I think I had the third highest average.’
The Warwickshire batsman hits out during the Royal London One-Day Cup quarter-final against Essex
The Warwickshire batsman hits out during the Royal London One-Day Cup quarter-final against Essex
Abi briefly speaks. ‘He was using words like “degrading” to me,’ she says. ‘He was in the depths of despair. I hated watching him torture himself over something that had brought him such joy.’
His critics, with Vaughan chief among them, argued that the bigger issue was one of technique; in particular when facing the rapid deliveries of Australia’s Mitchell Johnson.
‘A lot of people said it was Mitchell Johnson but it really wasn’t,’ he says. ‘It was what was going on with me; self-inflicted really.
‘Give him [Johnson] credit. He bowled really well in the one-day series and Tests. I think he troubled a few players. But it’s the age we live in, where people are employed to give their opinion and they go for the obvious thing. People who know me, who watch me play, know that it’s not the case.
‘I’ve actually had a few centuries against him, so I wouldn’t say it’s a technique issue. But without digging deeper and finding out what’s going on, that’s what people focus on.’
Dr Steve Peters was the person to whom Trott turned when it was his 'last throw of the dice'
Dr Steve Peters was the person to whom Trott turned when it was his 'last throw of the dice'
Trott is keen for this interview not to focus too much on Vaughan when he would rather discuss how he has managed to rebuild his career. When he would prefer to look forward to more success with Warwickshire and perhaps even play well enough to once again catch the eye of the England selectors.
Michael Vaughan blasted Trott earlier this summer, which didn't impress the Warwickshire man
Michael Vaughan blasted Trott earlier this summer, which didn't impress the Warwickshire man
But Vaughan’s newspaper column was scathing in its criticism of him, and Trott gives little credit to a tweet the former England captain then posted in response to that April statement confirming he would be taking another break from the game.
Vaughan referred to the ‘sad news’ and wished Trott a speedy recovery. What he never did, however, was contact Trott to apologise for so clearly misjudging a very serious situation.
‘I spoke to a lot of people and a few of them said I was a bit too open and a bit too honest in that Sky interview,’ says Trott. ‘But there were a few people who had a go at me and I suppose it gives a true reflection of their personality.
‘I guess there will always be people who don’t like you. That’s what Steve said, and that’s fine. But it was quite hard to take, from someone who had played in the England team. That’s the measure of the person you are dealing with I suppose.’
The measure of Trott became apparent in the way he responded to the treatment he received. Far from telling him to take a further break from the game, Peters told Trott to get back on the horse.
‘I was happy with that because it has always been my personality to challenge things head on,’ he says. ‘We built it up step by step. With net sessions, then with second team practices and then second team games. It is amazing when I think about it now, from playing at Pudsey a couple of months ago to be preparing for Lord’s.
‘But it was a case of trying the things Steve had taught me. Putting in the checks. Sometimes Mark, the England team psychologist, would be worried we were going too fast. But Steve would say “let him go”.
‘Steve told me I was imbalanced. I didn’t have the clarity you need to play international sport.
‘He taught me to find that balance again. That rational balance between things that matter and things that don’t. It was interesting to see the switch in my mental approach to the whole thing. It took a few goes but I felt very different to how I had done before.
‘It’s almost common sense. But sometimes seeing common sense becomes very difficult.’
In time Peters focused more specifically on Trott’s cricket. ‘He said he’s no expert in cricket but he knows how the brain works and he made the point that in the right mental state my accuracy would improve,’ he says. ‘For me those words were very important. I found that very encouraging.
Trott having a laugh with Ian Westwood at Warwickshire's pre-season media day in April
Trott having a laugh with Ian Westwood at Warwickshire's pre-season media day in April
It was quite hard taking the criticism from someone who had played for England - but that's the measure of the person you're dealing with
Trott on Michael Vaughan's attack 
‘The tests I faced were important, too. We played a one-day game against Somerset and their batsman whacked the ball at me and I dropped it. And it was interesting to see how I reacted to that. I was fine. I was like “damn it”. But the difference in the way I reacted was huge. I could still perform. I feel a lot more in control of things now.’
His performances would certainly suggest as much. Since his return in June he has scored four centuries and averaged 60.75 in the eight games that represent Warwickshire’s road to Lord’s, where they will be without the injured Ian Bell.
Warwickshire coach Dougie Brown has suggested Trott is playing as well as when he was crowned the finest player in the world in 2011 and Colin Povey, the county's chief executive, thinks an England recall should soon come.
‘I’ve had a decent run since I came back,’ says Trott modestly. ‘The final at Lord’s should be great; hopefully the end of a fantastic season for us.’
He would like to once again contribute for England but Trott applies a bit of realism to that particular situation. After all, it was only last week that the ECB confirmed that his central contract would not be renewed at the end of this month.
‘I haven’t retired from international cricket but the Test team did pretty well in the last three Tests and that was good to see,’ he says.
The Warwickshire star is ready to play in the Royal London One-Day Cup final against Durham at Lord's
The Warwickshire star is ready to play in the Royal London One-Day Cup final against Durham at Lord's
‘Ballance has played really well. Root, at five, has done well. Bell is always going to do well at four. Cook should remain captain, in both forms, especially with the Ashes coming up. He’s the right guy for what will be a tough occasion.
‘I’ll concentrate on playing well for Warwickshire. The same way I did in 2009. I’d like to play for England again, obviously. I’d like to think that everyone who plays county cricket wants to play for England and I’m just one of those guys. That’s how I see myself now.’
He has been signed off by the ECB medical team as fit to play, should he be required in the future.
‘I spoke to Paul Downton (ECB managing director) about not getting a new contract and he said the central contracts are for players they definitely see in their plans.
Trott is sad at the way Kevin Pietersen's England career ended and apparently KP is 'missing it'
Trott is sad at the way Kevin Pietersen's England career ended and apparently KP is 'missing it'
I'll concentrate on batting well for Warwickshire but I'd love to play for England again 
‘But he said that doesn’t mean I’m not going to play for England again. He was very complimentary, acknowledging that I had been playing well and scoring lots of runs.
‘The ECB have been great to me for nearly five years. They’ve been very supportive in the past year. I felt a bit alone at first, but then I’m not sure anyone really understood what we were dealing with.’
Had his Ashes tour been cut short by an injury rather than a stress-related illness, you do wonder if a player of his quality might have been treated differently.
‘I guess people are a bit more wary than if it was an injury,’ says Trott. ‘People can see on an MRI scan that a hamstring or a cruciate ligament has healed. This is not such an exact science. There is less evidence, I suppose, to prove that I am better.
Trott is enjoying his cricket and would love to be scoring centuries for England again in the future
Trott is enjoying his cricket and would love to be scoring centuries for England again in the future
‘I’m just enjoying playing for Warwickshire right now and if I get the chance to play for England again, great.’
In the meantime he will focus on things closer to home, and on the events he has planned for his benefit year with Warwickshire and the four charities he has chosen to support.
Kevin Pietersen is supporting one of the events. ‘I’ve always made a point of trying to get along with everyone in my team and I like Kev,’ he says. ‘I’m actually very sad about the way it has all played out for him.
‘We chat. We are very different but we share similar views on cricket and I think we are both disappointed with the way things have turned out for us. He’s like me; missing it.’

Post a Comment

0 Comments