EXCLUSIVE: Kell Brook explains exactly what happened in Tenerife the night he got stabbed and says: 'I was getting hit by a machete. There was so much blood spurting out. I could see death'

EXCLUSIVE: Kell Brook explains exactly what happened in Tenerife the night he got stabbed and says: 'I was getting hit by a machete. There was so much blood spurting out. I could see death'

  • Kell Brook exclusively tells Sportsmail exactly what happened the night he got stabbed while on holiday in Tenerife
  • Brook was left needing 32 metal staples in his left thigh and passed out from the amount of blood 'spurting out'
  • It was an unprovoked machete attack in the early hours of the morning by a man he met earlier that night
  • Brook’s head is full of chaotic memories, from the small, dark apartment where conversation turned in an instant from cars to street fighting; leaving a house ‘with blood spurting everywhere, panicking, thinking I was going to die’
  • Brook promises to return despite losing feeling in his left thigh and 'smash' Amir Khan at a packed Wembley  

Kell Brook is in his parents’ house close to Sheffield Wednesday’s home ground, feet up on the living-room couch as he picks at his bandages.
The television is off and the world championship belt he dreamed of winning as a small boy — as he sat in front of the screen in this very room — is in a cupboard.
He only occasionally watches the Shawn Porter fight back, partly because it was less than a month ago and the memories of that tremendous night are fresh. But also because so much has happened since. ‘I’ve gone from the top of the world to the bottom of the ocean,’ he says.
GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING - SPORTSMAIL'S VIDEO AND IMAGES BELOW CONTAIN GRAPHIC CONTENT OF KELL BROOK'S INJURY
Kell Brook talks exclusively to Sportsmail about his experience that left him needing stitches in the top of his left thigh
Kell Brook talks exclusively to Sportsmail about his experience that left him needing stitches in the top of his left thigh
Kell Brook has provided an exclusive insight of what happened while he was on holiday to Sportsmail after showing us the nasty wound on his left thigh
Kell Brook has provided an exclusive insight of what happened while he was on holiday to Sportsmail after showing us the nasty wound on his left thigh
Kell Brook has opened up about his tough experience which left him needing urgent medical treatment after being stabbed in his left thigh
Kell Brook has opened up about his tough experience which left him needing urgent medical treatment after being stabbed in his left thigh
He picks at the bandage again. ‘It looks like I’ve been attacked by a big shark,’ he says. Brook jokes but he is devastated. His left leg is a gory mesh of staples and pins, holding together the wound inflicted by what he says was an unprovoked machete attack by a man he had met only hours earlier.
Brook’s head is full of chaotic memories, from the small, dark apartment where conversation turned in an instant from cars to street fighting; a house from where he stumbled ‘with blood spurting everywhere, panicking, thinking I was going to die’.
He remembers the scramble, the swearing from behind him, and then nothing. A blank followed by the broken English of Spanish doctors, uttering the word ‘critical’ and his fears that he might not walk again.
‘It’s been, what... three, four weeks since I won the world title?’ he says. ‘Why? Why this?’
He often asks the same question during his first interview since his night out in a southern Tenerife golf resort on September 4.
Just as often, he says he will be back, that the worrying numbness in his left thigh will pass and then, finally, he can fill Wembley Stadium with the fans who want to see him fight Amir Khan.
‘I’ll smash him,’ Brook says. ‘I’m thinking positive because I have to, but believe me, I will get better and then I’ll smash Amir Khan.’
Kell Brook (pictured last week recovering in a Tenerife hospital) has granted Sportsmail exclusive access after his stabbing
Kell Brook (pictured last week recovering in a Tenerife hospital) has granted Sportsmail exclusive access after his stabbing

Kell Brook lands a punch on Shawn Porter (left) during their IBF Welterweight World Championship fight in August
Kell Brook lands a punch on Shawn Porter (left) during their IBF Welterweight World Championship fight in August
Kell Brook fulfilled a childhood dream as he out-pointed Shawn Porter to claim the IBF welterweight title from the American in Carson, California
Kell Brook fulfilled a childhood dream as he out-pointed Shawn Porter to claim the IBF welterweight title from the American in Carson, California
On Wednesday of last week, the Brook family went out for a meal in Golf del Sur, where they had been staying, before their scheduled flight home the next day.
‘We went for a nice meal as we had every night and then had a walk,’ Brook says. ‘We stopped at an Irish bar that was showing football. We sat there and I had a few drinks.
‘This couple came up to us, they were about 60-odd and we got talking, having a laugh. I was telling them stories about old man Brendan Ingle (a legendary Sheffield trainer). It was getting late. Lindsey was tired and we decided she should go back. I went outside and put them in a taxi and I went back in. It was about 10.30ish.
‘I carried on with this couple. They said, “We are going across the road. Do you want to come?” I said why not? Quite a few English people were there and they recognised me — wanting photos. It was a good night.
The Sheffield fighter claimed he was 'born to do this' after winning the IBF welterweight title on a points decision in the summer
The Sheffield fighter claimed he was 'born to do this' after winning the IBF welterweight title on a points decision in the summer
Kell Brook says he will be back despite the worrying numbness in his left thigh and then he can fill Wembley Stadium with the fans who want to see him fight Amir Khan
Kell Brook says he will be back despite the worrying numbness in his left thigh and then he can fill Wembley Stadium with the fans who want to see him fight Amir Khan

Kell Brook is recovering at his stepfather's home in Sheffield after the horrific machete attack on holiday in Tenerife and Sportsmail has exclusive access
‘The manager of the bar invited me to a party at her place with her partner and another guy. Nothing over the top, the bars had shut and we had a few more drinks. I guess she maybe thought I’d won a world title and wanted to show me off.’
Brook is not certain on timings, though it is believed to have been about 2am. He says he was ‘drunk but not hammered’ and having his first late night in more than four months. ‘I’m not usually a drinker,’ he adds.
‘In the bar manager’s apartment is where the guy was. That’s when I first saw him. (After a while) the girl and her partner said they had work in the morning, time to go. This kid was left there.
‘He said let’s go for a drink at his apartment. I was just going with it. I knew I would feel rough but I was coming back home (the next day) and going straight into training for the next fight. Blow out, as they say. I am not too used to drinking.’ 
It is understood that Brook and his alleged assailant, whose identity is known to Sportsmail, walked a short distance to a nearby property. ‘I got to his place, had a few more drinks, and got into a general chat about things. Tourism, cars, boats. Then suddenly the mood switched. This guy started going on about street fighting. The mood changed.
‘(He was saying) a boxer can’t compete with a street fighter. I went from being comfortable to it switching without reason. This place, in his apartment, the kitchen and living room is close together. Everything is just a hand away from you. He was in the kitchen and I was in the living room. Without warning or caution, one swipe.’
Brook describes the weapon as ‘like a machete’ and indicates with his hands that the blade was about a foot long. He believes he was there ‘maybe less than an hour’ and insists there was no retaliation, just a panicked attempt to escape.
‘I was a victim of an unprovoked attack,’ says Brook. ‘Without warning, I was getting (hit with a) machete by this guy to my leg.
‘The next minute I was trying to find my feet but my leg wasn’t working. There was so much blood spurting out and it was a tile floor. I lost my balance and fell. I remember scrambling about, trying to get out. I was just thinking I need to get out. I could see death.
‘This guy was stood over me, shouting and swearing. I am trying to scramble away. I was thinking about my daughter, that I need to get away. I was covered in blood, panicking, feeling so drained and weak from the loss of blood. I feared for my life.’
Brook escaped and is understood to have left a bloody trail to another apartment, where he tried to raise the alarm at about 6.30am.
Kell Brook knocked out Vyacheslav Senchenko (left) at Sheffield's Motorpoint Arena to earn a shot at the IBF welterweight title in 2013
Kell Brook knocked out Vyacheslav Senchenko (left) at Sheffield's Motorpoint Arena to earn a shot at the IBF welterweight title in 2013

I have been told I got on the street, found a complex and tried to get in using a chair (against a window), to wake a neighbour,’ he says. ‘They must have phoned someone because the next minute I passed out. I am glad they did because with losing all this blood I could have died.’
Brook awoke in Candelaria Hospital in Santa Cruz after a 45-minute ambulance journey and two hours of surgery to deal with a deep slice wound to his left thigh. The blade cut two muscles and the damage needed 32 staples to repair.
‘I’m waving my arms and legs and they are trying to calm me down,’ he says. ‘They are saying, “You’re in hospital, you’re all right”.
‘I couldn’t believe what was happening to me — “What is my missus going to be like, she’s pregnant? How long have I been out, what day is it?” I needed to phone her but no one can speak English.
‘I am panicking, worrying and wondering what has happened to my leg. I was thinking about my career, my missus, not able to move my leg. I could feel nothing in my leg from the operation. 
‘I don’t know how much blood I lost but I was told it was a lot. I couldn’t understand much (but) I heard “critical”. It was so scary. I was panicking, “Will I fight again? Will I walk again?” They couldn’t say, but they were so calm.’
Meanwhile, Lindsey had been awoken by the Spanish police. ‘Five armed police officers are banging on the door,’ Brook says. ‘They have run in, saying, “passport”. She’s crying. She didn’t know what was happening. In a right state she was.
‘They are saying I have been stabbed and not much more. What is she thinking? It has been a nightmare for her.’
Brook is stroking the family dog — Toby, a Bichon Frise. His mother checks if he needs another drink. ‘I’m getting waited on,’ he says. ‘Her cooking is the best.’
He flew back on Wednesday, saw doctors on Thursday and is trying to keep a positive outlook.
Kell Brook poses with his promoter Eddie Hearn in the Tenerife hospital where he was rushed to after the machete attack last week
Kell Brook poses with his promoter Eddie Hearn in the Tenerife hospital where he was rushed to after the machete attack last week
‘They wheeled me out of the hospital in Tenerife and the fresh air hit me and I was just thanking my lucky stars,’ he says. ‘It felt so good to see my family and think, “I am here, still alive”. Small things make me smile.
‘Now I have to focus on getting strong again. I am hearing better things. They think I might make a full recovery, but it’s hard. Trying to get about hurts a lot. When I wake there is an ache, a throbbing, from when I have moved in the night. The doctors say I should be fine as long as I rest.
‘Around the (wound) area there is no feeling. The doctor said it might never come back. It is numb, like when you go to the dentist, but I believe in thinking positive and think I will make a full recovery. The knife went through two muscles, but the operation was a success and blood is getting to those muscles.’
With the right rehabilitation Brook hopes to be running by late November. Then his eyes are on a possible tune-up fight and the big one against Khan.
‘The dream scenario would then be to fight Floyd Mayweather,’ he says. ‘I’m a young lion and I believe I can be one of the greats.’
Brook talks about learning from the experience and rues that his recently-acquired title might have made him a target. His assailant has not been caught, and Brook’s lawyer, Adam Rasul, confirmed the fighter ‘had provided a full account of his injuries to the court as the victim in this matter. In addition Mr Brook has been informed he has a right to claim for criminal injuries’.
But Brook’s greater focus is getting back on his feet and making sure he never ‘lowers the guard again’.
His stepfather, Terry, brings out the IBF belt he won on that tremendous night in California, when few gave Brook a chance against the American champion. Brook smiles. One day in the future, when this is a distant memory, he plans to build a games room and hang it on the wall.
‘That’s my belt,’ he says. ‘Nothing will stop me from coming back and defending it. Nothing.’ 
Kell Brook says he's 'thinking positive because I have to' and that he is determined to come back from the stabbing and beat Amir Khan in a fight at Wembley
Kell Brook says he's 'thinking positive because I have to' and that he is determined to come back from the stabbing and beat Amir Khan in a fight at Wembley

Post a Comment

0 Comments