Louis van Gaal and I are both Dutch, but I like my teams to keep the ball... his style is militaristic, says Johan Cruyff

Louis van Gaal and I are both Dutch, but I like my teams to keep the ball... his style is militaristic, says Johan Cruyff 

  • Johan Cruyff and Louis van Gaal famously do not get on
  • Former Barcelona boss Cruyff famous for bringing in tiki-taka at Barcelona
  • Criticises fellow Dutchman Van Gaal and says pair are nothing alike 
s
Johan Cruyff has reiterated his view that new Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has a 'militaristic' approach to tactics, while he likes his teams to keep the ball.
Cruyff, a footballing icon as both a player and a coach, is considered the founding father of Barcelona's attacking, possession-based, tiki-taka football.
The Dutch pair famously do not get on well and in an interview with the Guardian's Donald McRae, Cruyff has once again highlighted the contrast between their philosophies.
Johan Cruyff says Louis van Gaal (right) has a militaristic approach to tactics and the pair are nothing alike
Johan Cruyff says Louis van Gaal (right) has a militaristic approach to tactics and the pair are nothing alike
The Dutch Johan Cruyff legend introduced 'tiki-taka' football to Barcelona as manager in the 90s
The Dutch Johan Cruyff legend introduced 'tiki-taka' football to Barcelona as manager in the 90s
Asked if he had a similar view on the game to Van Gaal, Cruyff said: 'No. Not much. Of course we’re both Dutch and that is always a [shared] basis. But I always think of being in charge of the speed and of the ball.
'Maybe he knows more than me but I always want control of the ball. When I don’t have control of the ball what do I do? I press to get it back. It’s a way of defending. But more important is that I like to have the ball.'
In an earlier interview, former Barcelona and Ajax star Cruyff said: 'Van Gaal has a good vision of football but it is not mine. He wants to gel winning teams and has a militaristic way of working with his tactics. I want individuals to think for themselves.'
Asked by McCrae if he still shares those views, Cruyff answered: 'Yes. But I’ve always been an individual who likes to create something himself within a team performance. So I am happy if my players start thinking.'
Louis van Gaal has struggled to adapt early on in his Manchester United career
Louis van Gaal has struggled to adapt early on in his Manchester United career
On United, Cruyff added that he thinks Van Gaal will have a tough time gelling his squad of superstars together.
The Old Trafford club spent £147million on new players including Radamel Falcao and Angel di Maria, to add to a squad already boasting the likes of Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney.
'They are all famous,' said Cruyff. 'They earn a lot of money both on and off the field. How can you create a team and bring all these egos together?'
He added: 'You can’t arrange the chemistry of the team in two weeks. It needs time.'

Post a Comment

0 Comments